Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A weekday during the semester:


What do you do on an average weekday during the semester? What time do you usually get up? Is this the time that you prefer to wake up? What do you do when you get up: run, walk your dog, journal, read the paper, watch tv? When do you do school work? When do you talk on the phone? When and where are you most productive? Do you stay up late at night? Are you a late night eater? Do you watch tv at night and do your homework at the same time?

24 comments:

  1. During the week I usually wakeup around seven or eight. This has not always been my preferred time. However, this is when Carlee gets up and demands my attention. Carlee is my dog. She is a little over a year old and has LOTS of energy. The first thing I do is take her outside. We run downstairs and I stand bleary-eyed while she pees.
    When she is finished we dash upstairs and I feed her hungry belly. Sometimes I go back to sleep. Usually, however, I have turned on my computer by now and it is ready to go by the time Carlee has finished her breakfast. At this point I will sit down with some tea or coffee and peruse the NY Times, check my e-mail, and see what's happening on facebook.
    By now it's usually around nine and I will either take Carlee to the park and run with her for about an hour. Or, I'll go to the gym. When I have a lot of work to do I skip this. When "the press" sets in I like to work early in the morning. I feel like I can focus better. Things are usually quiet and there are less distractions.
    When I am really in a crunch I will go to my favorite coffee shop around seven, get a nice latte and a bottle of water, and sit at my favorite spot in front of the window. Work hardly feels like work. I always spend a ton of time reading. To break the monotony of school reading I have different colored pens, highlighters, and sticky notes to help keep my attention. When I read for really long periods I often resort to scents (candles, lotions, etc) to keep my senses alert. I usually do not get into this type of thing -- however, sometimes you will do anything that works to keep yourself engaged! :-)
    If I work early in the morning I almost always take a break for lunch or to take Carlee for a long walk. It is important to remember that very rarely can our minds stay productive when we let schoolwork become grueling toil. Sometimes it takes a lot of creativity! But, think about it, why should we let ourselves be unhappy or bored with anything in life? If we are going to spent our time doing something we may as well be happy and engaged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every morning I wake up at 7:15, and ask myself why me? Why do I always get stuck with the grueling 8am classes. After I get over myself,I brush my teeth and all that good stuff, then most importantly I try and tame the wild beast, my hair that is. I get dressed, apply my MAC make-up, as well as my juiced berry lotion right before I rush out the door.
    I usually rush to class every morning, but I dont mind rushing, because Id prefer running to class rather than setting my alarm clock five minutes earlier. After my classes are over I usually return to the beautiful basement of Jennie Murphree and take a nice relaxing nap.
    Around 5 I wake up to get ready for the gym, because I promised myself by spring break I will have a beach bod, hopefully. I just hate walking to the leach center because its just so damn far, but I do it because I figured that taking the bus to the gym is a lot more ridiculous than the long walk.
    After the gym I usually go to the 5 star, world renowned, Suwanee restaurant to eat a light dinner. When I get back to my room, I talk to some friends on the phone, think abut being productive, then I go on face book etc. When I'm good and tired of doing nothing, I take shower while singing some songs. After Im squeaky clean, I do some homework then I call it a night!
    -Arianna Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every day during the semester, my days usually consist of waking up at 8am to whatever song my iHome plans to play. Considering my rough nights of insomnia, I hit the snooze button repeatedly until I can pull myself out of bed. If I had the power, classes wouldn't start until 10 am. But unfortunately its not my authority.
    -Ashley Koroshec
    When I finally get out of bed, I change into the clothes that I find most comfortable to last me throughout my day, brush my teeth, and head out the door to start my day.
    Throughout my day I find spare time where I can return to my dorm room in Salley and catch up on some work rather than procrastinate till last minute. When there's no work to be done, I let myself relax and take a nap. Although, even when I finally fall asleep, thats when everyone decides to check up on Ashley.
    After my classes have ended for the day, I wait until my sidekick roommate is also done and we go to dinner together at the unfortunate Fresh Food Company. One day, we promise each other, we'll make the long truck to Suwannee to eat good food. But until then we have Fresh Food. After dinner, I take my usual shower get ready for bed and lay awake till the Zzzz's decide to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My morning routine is probably similar to many of you, but when I wake-up around 7:30am after hitting my snooze alarm several times I drag myself out of bed and turn on the television to MSNBC. Then on most days I’ll go get a drink of water or juice to wake myself up. Once I become coherent I take a shower and make an attempt to fine some clothes in my closet soon after. After I’m dress I get into to my car and drive to the parking garage to battle for a parking spot. By the time the battle is done, I have to rush to my first class.
    Throughout the day I tend to do my homework between and after classes, and considering my major I spend most of that time in a practice room in the College of Music. Luckily, I rarely use up time talking on the phone with friends only if I’m getting information from them. After all my work and practicing is done usually it’s late and I go home and cook dinner or go out to eat. When I’m finally finished around 9pm with everything I watch some television for a few hours where I do any left over homework and then head to bed somewhat late.

    ReplyDelete
  5. On an average weekday during the semester I normally wake up an hour before class, which is usually too early for my tatse, to take a shower. Then I go eat a quick breakfast and go to all my classes. I'll usually have lunch in between two of the classes depending on the day of the week. I usually do school work as soon as i get back from class because it is fresh on my mind, and there is nothing else to do. I tend to talk on the phone throughout the day, I'll even text in some classes. My most productive hours are the middle of the afternoon becuase I'm the most focused. I always stay up late and end up eating with a few of my friends. Since I don't have cable in my room, I never watch tv and do my homework.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Typically, an average weekday during the semester begins early. I generally awake between 5:00 and 5:15 in the morning. Immediately upon waking up I like to wash my face and have a glass of juice. Lately I have been partial to different varieties of pomegranate juice. My favorite is a pomegranate tea blend from Minute Maid. Yes I am well aware it's weird, but hey, it makes me happy.
    After my morning ritual I go for a run, usually somewhere between four and six miles. How far I run really depends on how motivated I am in the morning. Once I finish my run I come back and make breakfast. This usually consists of two eggs, cooked over medium with Asiago or Swiss cheese on wheat toast, three sausage links, and coffee. While eating breakfast I usually watch a combination of CNN and whatever else happens to be on TV at 7:00 something in the morning. After breakfast I take a shower and then it is off to school.
    Usually, I don't talk on the phone much but if I do it is either when I am walking to and from classes or driving to and from school. I make a habit to eat all day. I am truly an epicurean. During the school day I almost never do any work other than attend class, I like to unwind before I work.
    Once I am done with school for the day I come home and change so I can go to the gym with my roommate. Depending on what day it happens to be, I usually get done with the gym at six or seven o'clock. After the gym I go home, take a shower and then it is time to be productive for the day. This is the time that I get everything done. I study, clean my apartment, cook dinner, relax with friends and pretty much everything else that I want to do between this time and about 11:00 or 12:00 when I go to sleep for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Javian, I notice that you say you drive to school as well and you say that you battle for a spot. I don't know where you usually park, but I find that parking at the new garage on St. Augustine and Copelend, near Diffenbaugh, is usually the best bet. It is almost never busy until about 10:30.
    I sometimes watch MSNBC as well. It is my second favorite after CNN. My friend actually has a picture with Chris Matthews from a conference

    ReplyDelete
  8. My average weekday is usually very tiring. I wake up around 10:30 am. For most this seems very late, but for me this is quite early. I work as a night staff in the dorm buildings. This consists of me sitting around at a desk from 10:30 pm to 7:30 am watching movies and doing things to keep myself awake. So going to bed at 8 and getting up at 10:30 am is quite a pain, but i've got to pay the consistent ridiculous bills that come with the whole college thing. On a positive note, this means I have a good excuse to get paid to play games all night and sleep until five on tuesdays and thursdays before class. So on a normal weekday I will get home from a long night of work, go to the gym, and then make my way to class where I will gather knowledge from my teachers. After class I make my way to my girlfriends apartment where I spend most of my time. I usually cook dinner and then hang out until I try to go to sleep. Monday and wednesday nights are nights that I work but every other night I get to go to sleep like a normal person. That, for the most part, is my normal weekday. Not to exciting, I know, but it keeps me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeremy, I think its funny that an hour before class is too late for you. Because I normally wake up about twenty minutes before class. Then again, I live on campus so i dont have to worry about driving and parking. This makes my life alot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ken, I have no idea how you can have that type of schedule. But like you, I'd do it to pay the bills. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My average weekday starts earlier than I would like it to, but it isn't that bad. A majority of the days to wake myself up I jump in the shower. After my a.m. shower I get dressed and go to class. Typically after class depending on the time I wake up at I either go to the gym or take a nap. After my nap or going to the gym, I just end up sitting around waiting for my next class. These couple of hours are usually consist of me just talking to my friends online, reading the Miami Herald, or doing homework if I have any, anything just to get the time to pass by. After this I go to my last two classes and sometime around 3 or 4 I end up leaving campus and go to either my friends apartment or my brothers apartment. I usually eat dinner at whoever apartment I am at. The rest of my day is just me relaxing. Whether I'm watching television, playing video games or just hanging out. I usually go out at night as well but that all depends on my mood and what time I have class the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Katie,
    My dog at home use to wake me up two hours before I had to be up too. I don't know how you stay awake I use to just go back to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. On an average weekday I usually wake up between nine and ten in the morning. I actually enjoy waking up at this time because I don't waste my day away sleeping. I usually have some yogurt and grab a banana and eat it on my way to class. My classes usually start at eleven during the week so its really nice. My classes are all one after another the first half of the day. I have to leave my times between two to five opened because of Volleyball. This takes up a HUGE part of my day. As soon as five fifteen hits I have my last class. I end around six thirty and I meet my roommate and some friends to get something to eat. I usually go to Fresh foods or somewhere close to campus because I don't have my little black car up in Tallahassee. After we eat my roommate and I go to the gym together. It is actually really enjoyable for me because I love doing physical activities. When I run my mind wanders off. Its a feeling of escape from reality. When I am running, no matter where I am, nothing else matters at that moment. In the past I would go to the gym by myself and do the routines that my speed trainer back in South Florida created for me. Now I attend the gym with my roommate and train her. I am actually looking into being a personal trainer for college athletes or professional athletes in the future. After the gym, depending on the day, I have to go straight into Volleyball practice. I get out of practice around ten thirty and walk back to Kellum. I hop in the shower and let the warm water rush down my back. I usually take extremely long shower mainly because its freezing when I get out. When I exit the shower I speed walk down the hall to my room. It would just be embarrassing caught wet in a towel by a visitor on the floor. I then do any homework that needs to be completed. I generally stay up pretty late because my day is very scheduled. If I have extra time during the day I may go on facebook or watch some television. I don't have much chill time during the day, but I tend to perform better in my classes when I have a busy schedule. Week days are CRAZY but weekends are completely different.
    -Kara Georgiadis

    ReplyDelete
  14. Javian, I do the same thing in the morning. It is extremely hard for me to get up too. I just lay in my bed and continue to hit the snooze button as long as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Four in the morning: I finally drift to sleep after a long day.

    Eight hours later I am aware of the light streaming through the curtains hung over the windows. I look around and realize there is noise blaring from the speakers of my alarm clock—the clock that my roommate continuously complains about because of the obnoxious nature sounds it is set to go off to. I stretch warily as I read the time, climb out of my bed, and stumble toward the miniscule closet Florida State has generously provided.
    By the time I have picked my outfit, rejected clothes are scrambled on my bed, floor, and counter. I head to the kitchen/bathroom sink combo and brush my teeth, wash my face, and apply makeup. Before I head out of the door I fix my hair, spray perfume, and dash out of the door to make my 12:15 class.
    12:15. Business Calculus. I sit next to my best friend and listen to the lecture prepared by my teacher from the night before. I focus intently and jot down notes as the class progresses.
    1:15. Class is over and I must race from Carothers to Williams in time to make English class. I enter the room to find that I am once again the last person in the room. I take a seat at an open computer and begin the assignment—while I try to catch my breath from the uphill hike to class.
    2:25. English has ended and I am starving. I call a couple friends to meet me for lunch on campus. We usually go to Suwannee Room or the Union to find something. We talk about class or what we did the previous night.
    3:00. My roommate and I head to the psychology building to make our 3:30 class. We chat until class starts. Jotting notes periodically and hoping time will go faster, class drags on.
    After class has ended, I go home to relax until dinner. During this time, the TV will be on and I will periodically be on the phone. Dinner comes and goes and the night sets in. If I do not have chapter for my sorority or something panhellenic related, I will call my boyfriend or friends to see what they are doing that night. If homework or a test is coming up, I am usually most productive during the day or night when I have the most energy.
    Unfortunately, I have trouble sleeping so I am almost always awake until at least 3:00 A.M. if not later. At this point of the night, I will watch TV, snack, and relax until I finally fall asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Javian,
    I laughed when I read your post saying that "My morning routine is probably similar to many of you" because the only thing similar in our day is going to the same English class. I wake up nearly 4 hours later than you, never watch MSNBC, and do not have to battle to find a parking space because I live on campus. Also, I do not cook because unfortunately I do not have a kitchen-- but hopefully when I move into an apartment next year, I will... I liked reading your post though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. On an average weekday during the semester, as opposed to an average weekday during break, is a whole new ball game. An average weekday during the semester is usually all business, figuritively and literaly speaking. I have to pay for bills! Thus, must require a job. Bummer. Lucky for me I get to work at home, actually a pretty cool home. One of the fifth oldest houses in Tallahassee, so it's ginormous and stuff is always breaking. So thats the scenario, plus three other roomates one puppy pit, and one Australian cattle dog(<--lol). I wake up at around 12:00 on Mondays to give myself enought time to eat and get ready for this class and my second class of the day. Then it's straight to work on the phones for about 3 to 4 hours. Bout time for lunch at that time. Then I like to get all my school work done at around 8 o clock. I can't watch tv and get any homework done. But if I do watch tv and attempt to do homework, this is what happens. When I'm through, its time to chill with the roomates, maybe play basketball at the gym or just chill watching tv or playing some pool. Do that until dinner, depending how were all feeling and how heavy the wallet is feeling as well, it might possible be get drunk time. See ya at Bulls ; )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kara, I def know what you mean by waking up at nine or ten and feeling like your not wasting the day. You def get alot more done. I'm still working on this. You sound your on the girls volleyball team, good luck if so.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jillian,
    I find it amazing that you can go to bed that late. Then wake up with only eight hours of sleep and do all the things you have to do. I usually get ten hours of sleep and I can barely make it through my first class.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well my morning usually starts around 10:00ish, however it tends to fluctuate depending on what I did the night before. I really enjoy going out and going to the bars and clubs. The first thing that I do on an average day is get out of bed and slowly make it to the shower. It sucks that I live in Kellum and am forced to walk all the way to a community shower, talk about convenience. After my shower I’m usually wide awake and hop onto the computer for a little Facebook action or check out last nights sports news by flipping on SportsCenter. I’m not much of a talker on the phone, so I usually resort to texting someone if I’ve missed his or her call. It probably has to do a lot with the fact that I’m pretty lazy. However, I find that I am the most productive around 3ish, I go to the gym some times for a run, and try to finish a lot of my homework. Majority of the time I stay up late on the weekdays just because I have such a late class schedule and I know that I can stay up late and still make it to class the next day. And by staying up late I am always down for a little late night snack. Due to the fact that I do get easily distracted I like to do my work without the TV on, however a lot of the times I like to listen to music in its place. It some what relaxes me and allows me to focus a little more. So that pretty much wraps up what I do on an average weekday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. During the week I usually wake up at ten or eleven. As with every morning, before I so much as get out of bed, I reach over to my desk and grab my computer. From there I proceed to do my morning rituals. I check my Facebook, check my email, and then I go on justjared.com. I am not a morning person at all, quite far from it actually, so it takes me a very long time to get out of bed. My earliest class is at 12:25 so in order for me to actually get up and get ready on time I have to set my alarm for ten at the latest. When my alarm goes off I generally hit snooze about 20 or more times, no exaggeration. When I finally do manage to get out of bed I will either turn on the TV. or put on some music. On Monday and Wednesday I’m at school from 1:30-6:30. I dread these days because my three classes are spread out on opposite ends of the campus. So I have quite a bit of walking to do. Also, I don’t have time for lunch in between classes because I am constantly on the go. If I’m lucky I’ll have time to grab a hot dog at Mom & Pops and continue along on my way to class. Tuesday and Thursday on the other hand I have more time to just relax. My first class is at 12:25 and then I don’t have class again until 3:30. On these days I usually walk back to my apartment as soon as my first class gets out. From there I go and meet my friend Lisa for lunch. We both have Oceanography together at 3:30 so it works out perfectly. After taking our 2-hour lunch break, we then walk back to campus and head to our oceanography class. After all my classes are over for the day, I come home and I usually make something to eat. After that I start all my homework. I seem to work best at night. I'll usually work on homework from 7pm till whenever I get everything done. I’m a night owl, so I stay up till 4 or 5 in the morning every day. I get a lot of things done that way though. At that time of night there’s nothing going on to distract me because everyone is generally asleep. When I do my homework I generally require it to be quiet. If I’m doing a simple assignment I might put on some music but if my homework or studying requires me to sit and read from the textbook I need my room to be completely quiet. If I happen to get my work done early, ill hop in bed and read my book. That one thing I truly love to do is just read. My favorite author is James Patterson so you will always find whatever book of his i'm reading at the time sitting on my nightstand. The last thing I do before I go to bed is hop in the shower. After that I just get in bed and put in a movie. I have about 200 DVDs so I have a pretty good selection to choose from.
    - Brieonna

    ReplyDelete
  22. Javian: i wish i was able to go to bed late and wake up for class at 7:30 am. If i had class that early after going to bed so late i probably wouldn't wake up. I go to bed at around 4 am and dont have to wake up till 11ish and im still tired. I dont know how you do it, but it's great that you can.
    - Brieonna

    ReplyDelete
  23. Marcus,
    It seams that we share some similarities, a lot of the times are either go to the gym or take a nap. I’d prefer the gym, but we all know how we get sometimes, LAZY! Im not from Miami, but I do sometimes also read the newspaper. Last semester I had a roommate and we would end up going to my friends apartment to eat dinner too, this semester however is a little different.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My day varies depending on which day of the week is since all of my classes are sort of all over the place. I'l pick a monday. My alarm goes off at about 8 in the morning. I always angrily make an attempt to press any button on my phone that I possibly can to try and turn off that awful noise as fast as I can. After I've been reluctantly woken up I lay in my bed for a few more treasured moments since I'm all warm and comfy and I know all too soon that's going to go away. I finally make myself jump out of bed. The first thing I do ever morning is eat breakfast, it's my absolute favorite meal of the day. Once I'm all ready and dressed I head to my first class of the day, Family and Relationships.. which is something I'm not too fond of. I have about an hour break in between all my classes, and the order usually goes chemistry II, then english II and then chem recitation later that day around five. A bunch of people from my hall get together for dinner at suwannee that I usually go with despite my lack of a meal plan. For the remainder of the night I usually get my work done if I have things to do and if not.. go out!!

    ReplyDelete