Literacy scholar Christina Haas writes in Writing Technology: Studies on the materiality of literacy:
For over a decade, academic and practitioner journals in electronics, business, language studies, as well as popular press, have been proclaiming the arrival of the "computer revolution" and making far-reaching claims about the impact of computers on Western culture. Although the actual technology identified as revolutionary force may have changed -- from word processing in the late 1970s to electronic mail and hypertext in the 1980s to the InterNet as "information highway" in the 1990s -- in most cases it is a technology of words, a technology that changes how written language is produces, processed, transported, and used. Implicit in many arguments about the revolutionary power of computers is the assumption that communication, language, and words are intimately tied to culture -- that computers' transformation of communication means a transformation, or a revolutionizing, of culture. [....] The challenge of accounting for the relationship between writing -- as both a cognitive process and a cultural practice to material technologies that support and constrain it is great. [....] Technology and writing are not distinct phenomena; that is, writing has never been and cannot be separate from technology. Whether is is the stylus of the ancients, the pen and ink of the medieval scribe, a toddler's fat crayons, or a new Powerbook, technology makes writing possible. To go further, writing is technology, for without a crayon or the stylus or the Powerbook, writing simply is not writing."
Carl A. Rashke writes in The Digital Revolution and the Coming of the Postmodern University:
"Those corporate and academic interests that stand in the way of 'digitalizing' higher education may be without realizing it attempting to retard the entire course of Western history. Higher education is the last redoubt of Medieval privilege and aristocracy. Digital learning is the true bulwark of global democracy."
Consider the following: What do you think about Haas and Raschke? Do you agree or disagree with them? Do you think our use of computers in this class has influenced what you think, how you think, or how you write? Have they hindered or enhanced your learning?
If Haas's theory goes the other way as to say that technology is writing then I agree with him. Although we don't feel like we're writing while we text, send things to each other on facebook, or chat with each other on AIM, we are communicating through our writing rather than our voices. On the other hand, I don't agree with Raschke's theory where we are trying to "retard" Western history. The world is advancing and changing everyday. How can you say that the newest advance in technology is "retarding" our world? Society has grown so much from just ten years ago and its all due to new findings and technology. I don't feel that the use of computers in our class has influenced my ideas because I believed from the beginning that by using the computers we were writing just not with pen and paper. I also don't believe that the use of computers has influenced the way I write. So far I haven't changed my writing by using the computers. With the website project, I have enhanced my learning on technology. I had no idea how to make a website before and now I know how to do HTML codes and how to structure a proper website for others to view and understand.
ReplyDeleteRaschke is simply being narrow minded by being so against technology and all it has to offer. True, writing up an email isn't as personal as writing a letter or note but it serves just as well. Computers have not influenced what I write, how I write and especially how I think. I don't even see how it could. A computer is a piece of technology built solely to aid to one's needs in search of knowledge. If anything it would help me to be a better writer because an intelligent writer is a more worthwhile writer. As far as how I write, my style comes from how it has developed gradually and how I have learned to compose stories and sentences throughout the years. How could computers hinder one's learning? The enhancement of learning is one of the main advantages of a computer and it can open so many doors that otherwise wouldn't be possible. I mean, thank god for computers... without them, there would be a global break down.
ReplyDeleteI have to say that I agree with Haas’s theory because it’s true that technology is writing. Thanks to new technology we are now able to communicate with anyone in the world at all time. This world that’s full of many nations is more close together now than we have ever been. It creates a unity between us that wasn’t there in the past. Every day we text, email, blog, or even chat with each other about various issues and topics. In our present time, I think we communicate more than any other time in history. I believe Raschke theory is wrong because by suggesting we live in a global democracy he ignoring the fact that to achieve this digital learning must take place. Democracy is the people’s freedom of choice and I believe digital learning only increases that choice. I think Raschke is forgetting how far our world has come in the past 50 years. How many more democracy do we have in the world? He’s also forgetting that digital learning force an individual to be more in tune with worldly knowledge. I think when I’m writing on the computer I’m more conscious of what I’m writing. I believe it has enhanced my learning in many ways.
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with Caitlin and Ashley because Raskhke’s theory doesn’t seem to match the reality that we live in. Haas’s theory seems to be more in tune with what’s going on in our world. So, I guess it’s good that we are all on the same page.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Caitlin about how Raskhe is simply minded about technology. Yes it may be a little more personal if you were to send a letter or see someone in person. But with technology today we can video chat with someone on the other side of the world. Technology makes up for being far away from someone your close with.
ReplyDeleteThousands of years ago ancient man first devised a system with which to record his thoughts and throughout time this has evolved almost continuously. From stone tablets of the ancients to papyrus of ancient Egypt all the way down to modern society in which we type away at our keyboards we record our thoughts, feelings, and emotions onto a medium in order to share them with others. Regardless of the methods that are used the basic purpose for writing is to share information. Therefore I agree with Haas when she states that writing is technology regardless of the method. I think what is overlooked is the fact that writing in itself is a tool. Writing is a tool to convey information. It can convey emotions, thoughts, beliefs, history, etc. etc. It can be used to educate or to amuse. Regardless of the method, writing is writing.
ReplyDeleteWith regards to Raskhe I think he raises valid points and arguments but I find serious faults with his statements. I do not think that it is always bad to force people to learn without the use of technological aids. For example, if children learned from the beginning to write on a word processor they would undoubtedly be robbed of the skills needed to effectively express themselves proficiently. A word processor is a tool, it will catch most grammatical errors or mistakes but I think in order learn to avoid these mistakes in the first place one should have to learn the basics (without a technological aid), therefore I disagree with Rashke when he says: "Those corporate and academic interests that stand in the way of 'digitalizing' higher education may be without realizing it attempting to retard the entire course of Western history." Digital learning can be a useful tool but if it is used as a technological crutch I think it can have very serious negative repercussions to the learning process. Higher education is not a redoubt of medieval privilege and aristocracy as Rashke states, it is simply attempting to maintain the integrity of the learning process.
Technology can and should be used to enhance our process of learning and make our society a better place to live. For example: I never used to like writing on a word processor, I always preferred writing with a pen and a pad. However, now that I use technology more and more I realize it has helped my learning process. Now, I can write almost as fast as I can think. When I write with a pen and paper I have to stop thinking in order for my writing to catch up but with a word processor I do not have to do that. It also allows me to effectively organize my work and work faster. In our library tour I was astonished to find out just how much information was at my fingertips without ever leaving my apartment. Technology has also helped our society to advance tremendously. Now information can be shared across the world with the press of a button. Therefore Rashke is right when he states that digitalization is the true bulwark of a global society. Digitalization makes globalization possible.
Caitlin, I think you are right when you say that the enhancement of learning is one advantage of the computer. Like I said in my post, I can write faster, write more, organize my work more effectively, access an almost unlimited base of knowledge and information...the possibilities are infinite. I also agree with you Ashley when you say in your second post that technology brings us closer. I know when I was traveling abroad one of the easiest ways to communicate was through Myspace and Facebook. I could leave a message for someone and they could read it and reply at their leisure.
ReplyDeleteBoth Haas and Rashke have very strong and intelligent points of views but I have to agree with Haas because writing is continuing to advance just like everything else in life. If you think about it where would we be with out the pen, mechanical pencil, or crayon. Those were all technological advances. We cannot stay the same things have to continue to move forward in order to make a better and easier life for our children. I dont know where I would be with out facebook which allows me to connect with my friends from back home. Or even E-mail which allows people to share information easier, submit papers, and fix problems quick and easy. Microsoft Word corrects simple mistakes, helps you with resumes, and can even help you make birthday or business cards. Therefore, technology is just enhancing writing, not hindering us from becoming better writers.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Javians point that technology connects us all, and that because of technology it helps us to communicate more, as well as enhancing worldly knowledge.
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, I have to agree with the most of you in the fact that I disagree for the majority part with the theories of Christina Haas. First of all she says "technology of words", when we all know that it's a technology of numbers (ex10011001010) that produces words. So she was off to a rough start from the get for me personally. But I do agree with her that the introduction to computers into schools and our everyday lives in relevance to writing is and will affect our culture. Culture is defined as a learned social behavior; now what more of a learned social behavior is there than faceook. Secondly, i have to disagree with Rashk too. How could you come to the completely idoitic conclusion that by not teaching someone a skill (digitilizing higher education), that that person is going to go retarded. Are you denying our basically humannly instinct to learn a new skill. Are you saying we can never learn it later on if we desired. Are you saying that a child who is technically a genius and potential one of the next best writers in the world that that because that genius child lets say did not learn how to write on a computer, he will not be able to write a beautiful novel. That he wil become retarded?? Wow, i dont know, that sounds a little ridiculous but thats just me. I do think the use of computers have affected my opinion, because if i hadnt exprienced learning all this tech stuff I wouldnt of assumed that everybody is able to learn it. But, i dont think it has enhanced my wirting, because when it comes down to it writing comes from your mind. Writing to me, is your "thought" on paper, tablet, sand or a computer screen... thats what i think....
ReplyDeleteArianna, I definitely agree with your closing statement. All technology does is enhance our writing. As i wrote we can still be good writers without it but technology is a great tool to further your writing skills.
ReplyDeleteGreat! We are having another awesome conversation!
ReplyDeleteLet me clarify some of the main points that the quotes above are making: First, Christina Haas is saying that writing is not writing without the use of technology. Thus, the stylus, crayon, and powerbook are all integral parts of our writing experience and should not be averlooked as mere givens. Writing and technology are integrally related and connected through the very motions of our composition. Rashke’s point is actually quite radical. What he is saying is that the digitalization of higher education is critical. He actually suggests that this will have a democratizing effect as it will allow broader access to more information and venues of higher education. Thus, these two writers are addressing technology in terms of its effect on both writing and access.
My question to you, then, is what do you think? How is technology influencing your learning and your writing in this classroom?
I don’t really know whether or not using a computer to suffice for the normal notebook and pen is indeed helping me in this English class. I definitely think it’s making the process of writing much easier so perhaps it does help, because I’m focusing less on the physical writing and more on what I’m writing and then in turn my writing ends up better. I always felt I was a very good writer when I was in the comfort of my own room with my own computer opposed to writing on some timed paper in class.
ReplyDeleteI think because people generally spend more time on computers in this day and age that it’s ultimately more stressful and/or straining to write with a pen and paper. This computer age is what we are used to at this point so really it makes sense that writing on a computer is going to help the writer. As for me, now that I think about it, I really think writing and surrounding me in a technologically-adept educational environment is going to be beneficent. We do in a normal situation surround ourselves with laptops and Facebook all the time and we're always blogging and writing notes to each other, so it makes sense that we would use these medians to enhance our composition.
As for learning, I think using computers enhances our potential because we're put in an environment we're comfortable in, regardless of whether or not its good our comforting environment is digital. Books are still important resources, there's no question about that, but I think if a student is going to get more out of a classroom using method A opposed to method B, then we should always choose the former.
I think Caitlin is right in saying that there would be a global breakdown if computers were suddenly removed from the world but I can't help but feel a little intimidated by the fact that humans are so dependent on this supposed "aid." I understand that computers are built and created for the purpose of enhancing communication and ease of lives but at the same time I think too much weight is put on computers to run our lives to the point where humanistic behavior is substituted for internet or blogging behavior.
ReplyDeleteDespite this, as time progresses, so will our dependency on computers and it's ironic how even though I may feel this way abotu technology, I will not change my ways. I'm not trying to say technology is bad. Definitely not. Technology saves lives every day in hospitals and it enhances protection of civilians but leisurely technology is getting ridiculous. There are too many iPhone applications. But who am I to say what should and shouldn't exist.
Both Haas and Rashke have very strong and intelligent points of views about communication and technology.
ReplyDeleteChristina Haas claims that writing is not writing without the use of technology. Therefore the stylus, crayon, and laptop are all different types of technology. I agree with her that the use of computers in our everyday lives and in our education will and has already affected our culture.
Aaron’s response to Rashke pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly. He wrote, “How could you come to the completely idiotic conclusion that by not teaching someone a skill (digitalizing higher education), that that person is going to go retarded. Are you denying our basically humanly instinct to learn a new skill.” Rashke’s point is an extreme one. When he claims that the digitalization of higher education is critical, I must admit, he makes a good point.
In everyday circumstances, the use of technology as a source of communication is present. For example, we send and receive text messages and emails. We search the Internet on sites such as Google, Amazon, and E-bay. Many of us have succumbed to the Facebook and Myspace craze logging in throughout the day to see what is happening in our friends and families’ lives. We blog, type up notes from classes, send instant messages—the list goes on and on. It is no surprise that many of today’s classes are hybrids (partly online, partly in person) and many are completely are online. Like David Noss said, “I can write faster, write more, organize my work more effectively, access an almost unlimited base of knowledge and information...the possibilities are infinite.” I believe that technology is our future and it is only common sense that people are positively responding to these new innovations.
I love how everyone sounds so passionate about this topic. Like Arianna and Javian, I believe that technology connects all of us whether we choose to recognize it or not.
ReplyDeleteFor those of you who have replied saying that technology in the classroom has not helped you at all... think about how fast your minds work and how much a pen and paper would slow you down... The keyboard and monitor allow you to get more of what is on your mind onto your 'canvas' and pushes you to think and write at greater speeds. Like Katie said, she does not do anything without an underlying reason.
When I think about what would be easier, writing on paper or typing my notes and essays on the computer it is an choice that the computer is the easier less stress way. Like what Benjamin stated, its not that it is helping me in class either it just allows me to write and put my thoughts out on paper a heck of a lot easier. Having the ability to sit in my dorm and have a spell checker and the ability to look online for information I feel is a lot more convenient than just writing on paper with a pen. I also agree that with the amount of time that students sit on their computers that we all should be pros by now when it comes to typing and coming up with ideas. I don’t know the statistics but I’m sure the average student spends more time on the computer than off it. We all surround ourselves with facebook and blogs and chat rooms that we all should be fluent enough to better ourselves as not only writers but as students. Personally I feel a lot more comfortable being able to write within my own room and check what I’ve written before I turn it in by using the abilities the computer has over that of a piece of paper.
ReplyDeletei too would have to agree with caitline, Raskhkes theory is a bunch of bull. with how todays society is it just doesnt seem to match the way we live our lives. unlike Raskhkes theory, Haas’s theory seems sound a lot more with how we live and do things.
ReplyDeletei dont agree with rahske when he says that it is an attempt to "retard" the entire course of western civilization. i think people do express themselves very differently when it comes to online sites like facebook, aim, or myspace. i consider it a way of communication which connects it to writing because writing is a form of communication also. i think that having certain classes having computer in the classroom is a way to enchance the learning experience. i don't think all classes should have computer it depends on the subject. i think that having writing online for this class is interesting because i've never used a computer so much in an english course. and i think it works out well because alot of the things we do in class are online.
ReplyDeletei agree with jillian when she says that our thought processing is alot faster. thats how i feel when we do our 10 minute posts in the beginning of each class. im able to express my thoughts alot easier. but then again sometimes you can also feel like its easier to write things down like trent said. i like typing when it comes to facebook, aim, texting but sometimes writing down things helps me express them on a totally different level for example having a diary or journal, normally handwritten, can be written totally differently and way more personal.
ReplyDeleteAnything that you do influences something else so I think that what we do on computers in this class has influenced how we think and write no matter how minutely. My first instinct was to say that it hasn't really influenced me because I have written on computers before much like we do in freewrites, but every time you sit down to write you are more or less more experienced. But the fact is is that writting on the computer is easier to do in general because I am able to type faster and erase easier. But the flip side of it is that it also lets you go through ideas faster because your hands don't have to wait as long to catch up with your train of thought. As to the question "has it enhanced your writting?" I am not quite sure. I know that I am writing more now than I was over break but its not becasue of the technology it is because I am in class and it is an assignment. It definantly hasn't hindered my writing though.
ReplyDeleteAlthough Raschke theory states many valid points, I agree with Haas's theory. She discusses the relationship between writing and technology. Clearly they are very related because of the technology advance in todays society. Ten years ago computers were not as commonly used as today. Internet chating as come to an extreme high. I am now allowed to keep in touch with people that are half way across the world by simply turning on my computer. Ten years ago how many college students like me could say that they have their very own computer.
ReplyDeleteTechnology absolutely changes the way I write. When I think of iming and facebook, these are usually less formal ways of communication. I bring more use of slang into our writing. Ten years ago writing was more academic now it is used for academics and finding out juicy information between friends. I believe that it is very useful to write on the computer verses on paper. I feel that my idea flow out onto my computer. It allows me to change often and produce a better quality paper.
I do not believe that technology is “retarding” our society as Raschke believes. I believe technology is use to help advance our knowledge about our surroundings. Technology allows information to be accessed very easily.
Noel
ReplyDeleteI agree with what your opinion on Rahske. I dont think that it "retards" the entire course of western civilization. It sinply gives us a new lense or perspective to look at it through.
I agree with Ashley. I have always felt this way about technology. Clearly it helps improve our society today. Just look at all the diseases we are now able to cure, the people we can communicate with. We are able to reach intelligence at a much higher level thanks to technology.
ReplyDeleteI really don't agree with what Haas and Raschke are saying. These men are from a different era than my generation has grown up in. To them the thought that computers and technology controls so much of our world scares them. To them nothing is greater than the human mind, and they are right in that aspect. We created these machines so we are inherently smarter and better then them. With that being said, this technology has helped my mind grow without someone there having to teach me. Granted computers cannot beat good old fashion learning from a person, but they sure can assist them. Prime example, I have been studying for hours for a Chemistry test I have tomorrow. When the book and notes do no provide the clarification I need my only option is to resort to technology for my answers, and there for me always in the Internet. Not ready to "retard my mind" but to assist me. Essentially technology is only helping me grow to be the most intelligent human I can be.
ReplyDeleteCaitlin,
ReplyDeleteYou and I are on the same page. Technology is a great aid to my learning.
I dont really agree with Haas and Rashke either. To me, technology is the best part of our society. We use technology to learn and perfect ideas and methods. Overall, technology helps out so much in the long run. more work acan be done faster, and it alows us to broaden our knowledge of society. It allows us to communicate with people and share ideas around the world. This allows our level of education to be far more than our forefathers. Technology in our clasroom greatly aids our learning. We are able to do things like blogging and wikiing. These allow us to spend more time communicating ideas and working with our peers without being in a classroom or meeting.
ReplyDeleteI agree with marcus, caitlin, and everyone else who believes technology truely helps further our knowledge of the world and communication.
ReplyDeleteTechnology most certainly does change how "language is producesd, processed, transported, and used. However i dont feel that is in any way a bad thing. Ever single day we write, we may not realize it, but we do. The majority of us text continuously throughout the day, we facebook, aim, google, myspace, etc. In all honesty we probably right more today then people did years ago. We are ALWAYS writing because we have the technology at our finger tips to do so. As i walk to class and im texting back a friend, i am writing. As i sit here on this blog right this second, i am writing. It truly is amazing what technological advancements have done for mankind, especailly from an educational aspect. However i can say that i think we have become a bit too dependent on it. I mean, honestly if someone were to tell you that you were going to have your cell phone and laptop taken away from you, most people would freak out. Our lives are on those things. We wouldnt be able to text, email, chat, NOTHING. We are extremely dependent on technology these days but i can honestly say that as a whole it has done wonders for the educational world because it keeps people communicating. It keeps us all thinking and writing when without we may not be sitting down with a notepad and a pen writing something everyday. As said in the text, writing is technology and i could not agree with that more. In terms of what Rashke is saying, and i hope im not reading this incorrectly, but it seems as though he is not so much going for technology as he is for it. He is saying that those individuals who get in the way of digitalizing education are thus attempting to retard western history. Who goes on to say that digital learning really is the supporting foundation of a global democracy. Since having been in this class and having had to use computers to write hasnt much changed anything for me. Except for that i learned how to make webpages which i never realyl knew how to do before, other than that everything seemed to be things that i was familiar with so my thought wasnt altered hardly at all. Personally, i feel that technology has both advanced and hindered my learning. In terms of hinderance, i feel that there are many distractions on computers that i am drawn to that distract me from my work, but i suppose that is just a personal thing. Also, i have become less apt to look at a book for a reference for a paper because i have search engines like google to find websites that i can browse without even getting out of my chair. However i can not deny that my learning has also been advanced in countless ways. You could not get me to give up my laptop or cellphone for anything in this world.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with marcus when he says that technology is a great aid to his learning. =) i feel the same way.
ReplyDeleteI'm with Brieonna. 2009 wouldn't be what it is without the aid of technology. It is our way of life, without it, we would interact differently, carry ourselves differently, .. just everything would have a whole other spin on it.
ReplyDelete